Recently, one of my Seagate HDDs died. It was probably due to me being a little too careless with the case when building the computer all those months ago. Thankfully, I mirrored the drives using Storage Spaces (which is very useful), so I didn’t lose any data.
So I went ahead and bought a replacement 3TB drive from Toshiba.
I chose Toshiba over Seagate or Western Digital because it was the cheapest drive. Also, Toshiba bought over Hitachi’s 3.5in drive production when Western Digital tried to purchase Hitachi’s HDD operations, and Hitachi’s 3.5in drives are known to be very reliable. Given they are made in the same factory with probably the same expertise and personnel, it makes me feel a little less worried. And frankly, as a regular consumer, any HDD from reputable manufacturers will last just fine.
Anyway, I bought the thing, and because Storage Spaces asks me to install the new HDD before I remove the old one, that’s what I did. I also decided to tinker a little with my PC by switching some SATA ports around.
I wanted to free up the first two SATA ports that I was currently using for my DVD-ROM and my SSD, because installing an M.2 drive will deactivate these ports. I’m going to get an NVMe M.2 SSD eventually, so I might as well make the move now so it’ll be less work next time. Of course, I can buy those with PCIe add-in cards, but since I was opening the PC up, I might as well do it.
Had to remove the R9 390 first, though. The 4 SATA ports I use were trapped beneath the card.
Got rid of the red SATA cable too. It belongs to the DVD-ROM, and it really stands out in the case. So I swapped it for my one remaining black SATA cable that came with my motherboard. Hurray for extra SATA cables!
There goes the Seagate drive my dad gave to me. Unfortunately, they are out of warranty. If only I were a little more careful…(if that’s why it really died).
I was a little worried that by swapping all the SATA ports around, Windows would get confused and not detect anything. But the computer booted up with no issues! All my overclocking settings were reset though, so I had to go back into UEFI to select my saved settings.
Storage Spaces is really convenient, since it tells me when the drive is in trouble and I have to replace it, but it took quite a while to add all the files to the new drive and allow me to remove the old drive safely. There was no dialog to show the progress too, which was a little irksome.
But I found this helpful tip online. Go to Windows Powershell and type in Get-StorageJob, and it will show the time elapsed and progress. It’s static though, so you’ll have to do it periodically. I have just under 1TB of stuff, and it took about 3 hours or so.
So yep, that’s it. May this drive live long and prosper!